Thursday, April 19, 2012

You're Never Lonely When You Have Tacos

Yoo-Who, calling all vegans. Anyone? ANYONE. No? Really? Going once, going twice...That's what I thought.

It's lonely over here in my world. Sure, the animals are happy; and my conscience is clear; blah blah blah... but I miss people. They hear vegan, and run for the hills... or the steakhouse (dang them). I'm convinced that spending even one minute in my world would change theirs, but how do I get them to visit me?

With tacos, that's how!


INGREDIENTS 
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tsp nutritional yeast (can omit... but why would you want to?)
1/2 tsp corn starch
2 tbls vegan butter (I used smart balance)
1/2 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1-2 cup pureed squash
1 container extra firm tofu
8 crunchy taco shells (or corn tortillas)
garnish of choice (lettuce, salsa, tofutti sour cream, avocado, daiya... use your imagination!)

DIRECTIONS 
1. Combine first 11 ingredients (or use pre-made taco seasoning and add nutritional yeast and corn starch).
2. Drain tofu... Then drain it some more... Then dab it with a towel... Then squish it... Is it dry? Good.
3. Crumble tofu with a fork (just enough to look like ground beef... not enough to look like mush).
4. Melt butter over low heat... The smaller the pan the better.
5. Add milk. Whisk. 
6. Add squash. Whisk.
7. Add seasoning. Whisk.
8. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes (the sauce should be slightly thick and creamy).
9. Poor sauce over tofu and marinade for an hour.

10. In a lightly sprayed pan, heat tofu until warm.
11. Fill taco shells.
12. Garnish. Eat. Smile 

1 comment: