Friday, April 13, 2012

Mmmm, Carbs

I love carbs. LOVE them. The voices in my head tell me it's a problem... I tell them to shut up and eat a doughnut (it's an argument I usually win).

I also love pretzels... You too? Good, that means we can be friends. But can vegans eat pretzels?

Answer: Yes, yes we can (it's okay, you can do a mini wave in honor of this information... I did).





INGREDIENTS
1 cup water (warm)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or one packet)
2 3/4 cups flour
4 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil (or more water)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, olive oil (or 2 tbsp water), and water yeast mixture. Stir.
3. Add remaining flour. Knead for 5 minutes.
4. Leave it alone.. For an hour... It will be hard, but you can do it.

5. Divide the dough into equal pieces (I picked 12... feel free to use your favorite number)
6. Leave it alone... For 20 minutes... I know, I know. But you did it once, you can do it again.

7. Roll the dough into desired shape (classic pretzel shapes, sticks, bite size pieces...) Make them skinnier than you think is appropriate, they will puff up when boiled.
8. Leave it alone... For 30 minutes... This is the last time. I promise.

MEANWHILE
9. Boil (roughly) 8 cups of water with the baking soda.
10. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
11. Place the pretzel pieces in the boiling water for 1 minute.
12. Remove from water and place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet (do not use wax paper... I learned the hard way).
13. Top with sea salt.
14. Bake for 12 minutes (or until golden brown).
15. Dunk. Eat. Smile.


In pretzel shape... In stick form... Wrapped around soy dogs... Yes, yes, and YES!

6 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. Very excited to read all your upcoming recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm available for dinner any nite this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look so yummy! can you maybe, um, bring some over, and if it's not too much trouble, make some with cinnamon sugar too? sweet, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete